How To Stage Your Home For Sale
Just what is home staging and how can it help you sell your home? Staging is a process of cleaning, organizing, rearranging, updating, and preparing your home for sale. By properly “staging” your home you can increase the perceived value of your home and make a great first impression.
Pay special attention to the exterior of your home, particularly the front. The first impression your home makes on prospective buyers will color their opinions of the rest of your home. Clean out your gutters and put away clutter. Simple steps you can do on the inside of your home include:
- Clear all unnecessary objects from furniture throughout the house. Keep decorative objects on the furniture restricted to groups of 1, 3, or 5 items.
- Clear all unnecessary objects from the kitchen countertops. If it hasn’t been used for three months… put it away! Clear refrigerator fronts of messages, pictures, etc. (A sparse kitchen helps the buyer mentally move their own things into your kitchen.)
- In the bathroom, remove any unnecessary items from countertops, tubs, shower stalls and commode tops. Keep only your most needed cosmetics, brushes, perfumes etc.., in one small group on the counter. Coordinate towels to one or two colors only.
- Rearrange or remove some of the furniture if necessary. As owners, many times we have too much furniture in a room. This is wonderful for our own personal enjoyment, but when it comes to selling, we need to thin out as much as possible to make rooms appear larger.
- Take down, or rearrange certain pictures or objects on walls. Patch and paint if necessary.
- Review the house inside room by room, and
- Paint any room needing paint.
- Clean carpets, drapes and windows.
- Make necessary repairs.
- If you need room to store extra possessions use the garage or rent a storage unit.
- Leave on certain lights during the day and open your drapes. During “showings” turn on all lights and lamps.
- Have stereo FM on during the day for all viewings.
- Pile an attractive bowl with fresh fruit on the kitchen island.
- Display a vase of fresh (very fresh) flowers in the entry hall.
At its most basic it may be as simple as performing some needed home repairs, repacking and removing unneeded items and accessories, and bringing in some fresh flowers and plants. In other cases it might be as complicated as repainting, re-carpeting, rearranging furniture, or replacing outdated light fixtures or window treatments.
But no matter how easy or complicated, the end result has only one goal: to show potential buyers the very best side of your home. After all, they’ll be able to concentrate on picturing themselves in the home when they’re not distracted by clutter, dirt, or home maintenance problems.
Then contact us and let’s discuss how we can help you with your next project.